Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Long nights, lots of hugs and snuggles

So most of you have heard Miss Avery has Phenomena.  Now I am a quite the germaphob mom we don't play around sick kids and use lots of hand soap and hand sanitizer. It has been ingrained into my head before Ave was even born. Since she was born so early I was prepped that I had to be a germaphob if I wanted Avery to stay out of the hospital. And we made it over 2 years without anything to serious. Yesterday Avery was acting really weird. Usually even when she is sick she is on the go playing running around playing. But yesterday was different. It all started last week when she started sounding horse. I just thought she was getting the cold that EVERYONE had.  Thursday night she started a fever and some congestion. A little cough that seemed worse at night and in the morning. It continued but didn't seem alarming. Saturday she seemed to be feeling better. Sunday a little worse. But Monday something just wasn't right. She layed around completely lethargic.  Wanted to lay in my bed and watch movies. She fell asleep on the couch and my bed which she has never done in her life. I called Chris and he suggested to call the doc. They had me come in since she had a fever and a cough.  Sure enough the doc said she was pretty sure Avery had pneumonia and we had to go the hospital for an XRay.  We headed over there and she didn't want to have her picture taken. She pretty much freaked out. I then realized I couldn't even be in the room cause I was pregnant so I had to leave my screaming baby alone...I was almost in tears. We waited in the waiting room for the results and sure enough the doc confirmed she has Phenomena; but it is only a mild case. So thank goodness I took her into the doctor.  They pretty much told us to go home and watch her breathing if it got worse to call the doc immediately and she may be hospitalized.  Chris drove Ave home while I took the trek to fill her prescription and get some dinner.  I first went to Walgreens. It was an 1 hour and 15 minutes wait. Ya right I felt like crap (I have a cold too) and I needed to get home to my sick baby. So I drove to Smiths Market Place.  It was only a 15 minute wait HURRAY! So I got some soup and rolls and got a balloon for my sickie which pretty much took 15 minutes to get. Got the prescription and I as off. I got home took out the medicine and noticed it was in powder form. What? Never had that. Then I read the directions and it seemed backwards since I read the written prescription before I gave it to the pharmacist. So I called the pharmacy and they assured me the directions were right but were a little different since they had run out of the lesser strength meds. I then asked hey this is in powder how does that work? OH...... you need to bring that back and get it mixed. GREAT! Not only did I feel sicker by the minute I didn't want to go all the way back. I still wasn't satisfied either will the dosage and decided to call my doctor. Ya the dosage WAS wrong and I would have been giving her 3 times the amount she was suppose to have. Anyways at this moment I was done. I drove back and got the meds mixed and a new dosage paper printed. Ya DO NOT GO TO THAT PHARMACY. I won't ever go back. That is a HUGE mistake to make. They could kill someone by doing this. Anyways I was finally home and the long night began with cuddling catching puke and rocking Avery back to sleep. Poor thing. I hope she gets some much needed rest tonight.  At least today she is starting to get back to her old self and her fever is WAY lower. 

6 comments:

Sandy/Mom said...

Yike!!!! I'm so sorry to hear she has pneumonia! Thank goodness you took her to the doctor. The prescription mix-up is REALLY SCAREY. Again, thank heavens you questioned it........
I hope both of you start to feel better soon! Winter is horrible...........
Love you guys!

Lindsey Mosbarger said...

That is so scary about the dosage mix up!!! Good thing you were paying attention! I am sorry she is so sick, that is no fun. I hope she gets better soon! And you too. Congrats on baby #2!

Taunya said...

I'm sorry she caught the nastiness. I hope she's feeling better.

Nicki Swilor said...

Poor girl and poor mommy. That's so sad. Way to catch the mix up. That is so scary. I hope you both feel better soon.

Suzy said...

Thanks for the heads up on the pharmacy! That is crazy! I hope she starts feeling better soon and that you feel good as well.

jannah colette said...

phenomena? really? did she get struck down by a wand?